Tuesday, November 20, 2012

15 minutos de fama

I just had my 15 minutes of Spanish fame today. I can officially think I'm cool now. When I got to school this morning, one of the teachers stopped me and told me I was going to go to the Radio Station at 10:00 to do a "grabación" (my friends who had Suhl for Spanish in high school will appreciate this word!) ....or a RECORDING! That's right. They wanted me to read a mini script for an advertisement for their school's open house. I didn't get to keep my script (I WISH!) but it was all in Spanish and talked about how next Wednesday their school is having an open house. I had to say their address, telephone number, etc. and also I ended it with a little English: talking about "quality education."

I know, I can't believe it either.

I'm the least clear speaker on the planet and they chose me to do a radio commercial in another language. I was so excited and nervous and befuddled I didn't know what to do with myself. But, I'm more than honored and just goes to show how nice everyone has been.

A (not so great) picture of the inside of the radio recording booth. We also took two students to help with the advertisement.

Other than that, I taught more things in school today. I taught older kids (13 year olds) about Thanksgiving.
My Thanksgiving Lesson with the older students.
Also, I was left alone with a room full of 3 year olds who only speak Spanish. That was crazy, nonetheless.

After school, a teacher invited me to her house with two other teachers for lunch. We talked and we are going to have a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Spanish Thanksgiving, that is. Chicken, not turkey. How nice. The two teachers left and myself and the hostess (Silvia is her name) worked on her English homework. That was a nice exchange. I got homemade food and she got help with English. No pasa nada.

Seriously so thankful for nice people.


Thanks for reading ;) BESOS.
Kids playing at "el recreo" - recess

1 comment:

  1. THIS. IS. AWESOME. That sounds like such a great day!!! Did the 3 year olds have a manageable vocabulary, or were they saying things that you couldn't understand?

    ReplyDelete